At Swartz & Swartz PC., we know how devastating a slip and fall accident can be.

Nolan Sloan Esq

By: Nolan Sloan

Managing & Principal Attorney – Car Accidents, Personal Injury

At Swartz & Swartz PC., we know how devastating a slip and fall accident can be. A slip and fall accident can result in expensive medical and physiotherapy bills, lost paychecks, and negatively impact the quality of your life, and the lives of your family members for months and even years.

In today’s blog post we are going to explore the top ten most common locations where a slip and falls occur, and what to do to protect your rights, all within the scope of personal injury law.

Massachusetts law is clear that you have the right to expect to be able to safely walk around your neighborhood, park, playground, grocery store or mall. Failure to maintain a safe walkway in any of these settings can be considered negligence under the law: “A county, city, town, or person obliged to repair may be liable for injury or damage from defects on ways.” A person (or people) injured as a result of the negligent maintenance can file a personal injury claim under a body of laws known as premises liability.

While Massachusetts law allows towns to enact specific bylaws about maintenance, like, snow and ice removal on buildings and sidewalks, for example, at Swartz & Swartz PC., our experience tells us that it is the property owner who is often primarily responsible for maintaining a reasonably safe walking area. The term “property owner” can refer to a private business, local municipality, tenant, or homeowner depending on the location of your fall. It’s even possible for a property maintenance manager or a snow and ice removal company to be liable if they failed to do their job and properly clear an area, like a sidewalk, of snow and ice.

Massachusetts law allows towns to enact specific bylaws about maintenance, like, snow and ice removal on buildings and sidewalks,

Before we get any further, let’s take a look at the ten most common locations for slip and fall accidents: 

  1. Construction job sites
  2. Sidewalks
  3. Parking lots
  4. Stairs
  5. Escalators and elevators.
  6. Restaurants
  7. Grocery stores
  8. Shopping malls
  9. Historical sites and tourist attractions 
  10. Hotel lobbies

What to do if you’ve had a slip and fall accident 

 If you’ve fallen, your priority must be to get the medical attention you need, including, calling 911 if you are seriously hurt. Next, if possible and safe, grab your smart phone and take a picture of what caused you to slip and fall, or seek assistance of a bystander to document the scene. These pictures may be helpful in your case to prove negligence. 

Once it is reasonable and safe to do so, your next step should be to communicate with the owner of the property about your slip and fall incident. This step does two important things: it alerts the property owner that their walkway is unsafe and caused an accident, and signals to them that a claim or lawsuit may be filed.

If the property where you had your slip and fall accident is on Boston municipal property it is mandatory that you notify the City of your claim within 30 days. 

If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall incident you need to speak with an experienced Swartz & Swartz slip and fall lawyer as soon as possible. Our attorneys have the skills to help clients injured in slip and fall and other accidents obtain a just resolution. We promise to thoroughly review medical documents, witness statements, and other evidence you have gathered to understand the full extent of the injuries and establish a causal connection between your injuries and the defective condition. Call our Boston, Massachusetts office at (617) 742-1900, or toll-free at 1-800-545-3732.

Get Legal Help Now

Personal Injury Services


Nolan Sloan Esq

Nolan, has experience working on a variety of cases involving motor vehicle accidents and general liability.
Prior to joining Swartz & Swartz, Nolan worked as an associate attorney representing hundreds of clients in complex legal matters at several high-volume social security disability and personal injury law firms in Downtown Boston.


Need Help?

If you or someone you know, needs help from a lawyer, contact the law offices of Swartz & Swartz, use our live chat, or send us a message using the form below and we’ll get in touch to assess your case and how we can help.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.