Amount of settlement: $3.5 million


A college student and a tenant died in a fire at a Boston condominium. Power was out in the neighborhood due to an underground electrical fault and candles were being used for illumination. In the early morning hours, after the occupants of the condominium had gone to sleep, a fire broke out. The college student and one of the tenants died in the fire, while another occupant was injured. There was evidence that the condo building alarm did not sound in time to alert the occupants and that the smoke detector did not sound at all. The plaintiffs brought suit against the tenant, the condominium owner and the building owner and management.