All public and private schools in Massachusetts will remain closed through the end of this school year out of concerns for the safety of students and staff in the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Gov. Charlie Baker announced Tuesday.
Baker said there’s “no authoritative guidance” on how to re-open and operate schools safely or transport schoolchildren to and from school safely.
“We believe students therefore cannot safely return to school and avoid the risk of transmitting the virus to others,” he said.
Baker’s decision will also keep childcare programs closed until June 29. All K-12 schools had been closed until May 4 under the governor’s earlier order.
Baker said the state education department will increase efforts for remote learning.