First Aid for Minor Burns (First Degree):
- Run cool water over the burned area or soak it in a cool water bath for five minutes, if the skin is not broken. If burn occurred in cold atmosphere, DO NOT apply water.
- Reassure victim and take care to keep them calm.
- Cover burn with a sterile non-adhesive bandage or clean cloth.
- Protect the burn from pressure or friction.
- Over-the-counter pain medication can be used to reduce pain.
- Minor burns will often heal without seeking further treatment.
First Aid for Severe Burns (Second & Third Degree):
- DO NOT remove burned clothing; however take care to ensure that the victim is not in contact with burning or smoldering material.
- Make sure victim is breathing. If victim is not breathing or airway is blocked, then open the airway and perform CPR.
- If victim is breathing, cover the burn with a cool moist sterile bandage or clean cloth. DO NOT use a blanket or towel; DO NOT apply ointments and DO NOT break blisters.
- Elevate burned area and protect the burn from pressure or friction.
- Take steps to prevent shock.
- Continue to monitor victim’s vital signs.
*IN ALL INSTANCES, SEEK IMMEDIATE PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL CARE.