BOSTON — The Massachusetts Reopening Advisory Board is expected to lay out its plan to reopen restaurants on Friday.
A source familiar with the state’s reopening plans says there will not be an immediate timeline on when the reopening happens, but recommendations will include mandating all outdoor dining and tables spaced at least 6 feet apart.
The Baker administration unveiled a multi-phased approach to reopening the Massachusetts economy on May 18, but had not unveiled details on whether or how restaurants can resume in-person dining in the second phase of its statewide reopening plan.
Officials convened a separate working group to chart a course for the restaurant and hospitality sectors during reopening.
Boston Mayor Marty Walsh had hinted on Tuesday that more information was imminent.
Walsh said earlier this week “everything is on the table” when asked about the possibility of mandating exclusively outdoor seating, and his office has been working since last week to help establishments create capacity outside their buildings in anticipation of revived summer operations.
The announcement is expected less than 24 hours after officials announced the 2020 Boston Marathon would be canceled and not held on the Sept. 14 date officials originally targeted when they called off the traditional April running of the 26.2-mile road race due to the coronavirus.
Earlier this year, city leaders and the Boston Athletic Association agreed to delay the race for the first time in its 124-year history because of the enormous health risks posed by bringing together thousands of runners and even more spectators in close proximity.