BOSTON — An unspecified number of Red Sox players were unable to participate in the first day of the team’s “summer training” Friday after testing positive for the coronavirus.

Red Sox manager Ron Roenicke confirmed that some players had tested positive for COVID-19. But the team and Major League Baseball are not releasing the names of players who test positive for the virus.

“This is the craziest time and the busiest time I’ve ever had in baseball,” Roenicke told CBS Boston, which first reported this story. “I’ve never made as many text and phone calls in a day. It’s been really crazy.”

Last week, the team said one player had tested positive for the virus, but the player, who was not identified, was asymptomatic.

The Red Sox began training Friday for a shortened, 60-game season scheduled to open July 23-24.

 

 

 

Source: PATCH

Facebook Comments