Jack Jeffress was a teenage hitchhiker on his way to New York City in 1979 when he says Warren County Undersheriff Edward Bullock picked him up in an official vehicle, brought him back to Bullock’s home, drugged him, and raped him with another man over before Jeffress was able to escape.

 

This week, he became the fourth accuser to come forward and sue the county over Bullock’s alleged transgressions. Three prior lawsuits in recent years, which are now likely headed to a civil trial, claim officials knew of and ignored the now-dead sheriff’s grooming and raping of young boys in the county’s custody.

Jeffress’s lawsuit was filed Monday in New Jersey Superior Court in Belvidere, where Bullock served as sheriff from 1982 to 1991. It levies four counts against the county, including negligence, and seeks unspecified damages.

Warren County counsel Joe Bell could not comment on the most recent lawsuit because he had not yet seen it. On the others and pending civil trial, however, he said the county will be vindicated.

“This occurred 36 years ago,” he said. “There has been no smoking gun to this point” to indicate anyone was aware of wrongdoing.

Bullock died in 2015 at age 86, just a few months after a jury failed to reach a verdict in a criminal case against him. Bullock previously served nine months in jail in the early ’90s – he abruptly resigned from office and pleaded guilty to official misconduct after reportedly soliciting sex from an undercover state trooper posing as a 17-year-old boy.

The latest lawsuit differs from the three earlier cases in a few ways.

First, Jeffress used his full name in the lawsuit. He is the first accuser to allow himself to be identified by name. Lehighvalleylive.com typically does not identify victims of sexual assault. But Jeffress, who is now 56 and living in Los Angeles, said he has been and will continue to be publicly outspoken about Bullock through rallies, websites and social media.

 

Source: LE HIGH VALLEY LIVE

Full LE HIGH VALLEY LIVE Article

More Coronavirus News