A couple was awakened from their sleep when the husband noticed flames coming from the bottom of his electric blanket. In an attempt leave her home and find safety from the fire, the wife sustained burns over 55% of her total body surface, namely second and third degree burns involving her back, left arm and neck and second degree burns to her face and scalp area. The electric blanket had been purchased by the wife for her husband through a catalogue store. Neither the salesperson nor the blanket packaging warned of the hazards associated with use of the electric blanket. At trial, plaintiff’s successfully argued that the blanket contained inadequate warnings and was defectively designed.
Electric Blanket – Another Example