Two toddlers, ages 15 months and 2 years, were severely burned while they were sitting on a gas stove top. The children allegedly had covered themselves with vegetable shortening and while sitting on the gas burners succeeded in turning the burners to the “on” position. Plaintiffs alleged that the design of the stove was unsafe in that the control knobs were easily turnable. Plaintiff alleged defendant manufacturer knew of and had access to commercially feasible alternative designs which would require simultaneous pushing and turning actions which would be beyond the capabilities of a young child.
Gas Stove; Childproof Knobs