An employee was engaged in filling a plastic container with a flammable liquid using a hand pump. Investigations revealed that a flash fire occurred as a result of a buildup of static electricity caused by the use of a plastic, as opposed to a metal, container. The fire caused severe and disabling burn injuries to the worker. The manufacturer of the plastic container was sued for negligence in the testing and design of the product and the failure to warn the worker of the dangers involved.
Plastic Containers for Flammable Liquid