A police officer noticed that the dome light on top of his patrol car was not operating properly. He took the car to the station garage for inspection. While he was examining the battery water level to see if it was filled properly, hydrogen generated by the battery was ignited and caused the battery to explode. He lost one eye when struck by the pieces of battery casing that were propelled by the force of the explosion. There was no warning on the battery to alert consumers of the danger of hydrogen gas which is produced by such batteries. The battery was also dangerously designed because it failed to contain a device for automatic discharge of hydrogen accumulation.
Automobile Battery; Explosion