A mother in her early 30s and her 5-year-old daughter were badly burned by a flashback explosion of a one-gallon container of an alcohol solvent and charcoal lighter fluid which was being used by the mother to light a barbecue fire.
The mother suffered extensive burns on her legs. The five-year-old girl suffered severe burns. The little girl has suffered seven extensive hospitalizations, all involving major grafting and reconstructive procedures, within the past three years. Recovery in this case was based on discovery that the manufacturer of this product had deliberately removed labeling prior to this accident containing warnings and instructions on the use of the product to start charcoal fires, and that the manufacturer also had rejected the use of a flashback arrestor, which is 100% effective to prevent flashback explosions of this sort, although the manufacturer used flashback arrestors in its own storage and manufacturing processes.