Yesterday afternoon in the northern section of the state, namely the Lawrence / Andover / Merrimack Valley area, there were several gas explosions related to a major gas leak in the area. Many homes were destroyed from explosions and fires, one young man was killed and at least 20 people were injured. Follow what's happening on your local news and Twitter.
On April 13th, 2009, former All-Star pitcher Mark Fidrych suffocated after his clothes became entangled with a spinning part on the truck he was working on, Massachusetts authorities said Thursday. The state medical examiner's office ruled the death an accident, according to a release from the Worcester District Attorney's office. A friend found Fidrych, 54, beneath a 10-wheel dump truck on Monday at his Northborough
On the morning of February 7, 2009, one worker was killed and another seriously injured after a crane (also known as a hydraulic “aerial lift”) used to inspect the roof of a seven-story Suffolk University dormitory fell over. The crane’s 110-foot metal arm toppled over, crushing the building in Downtown Crossing. District Fire Chief Ron Harrington said two workers were in the basket as it
As of February 14, 2010, State Trooper Vincent Cila was one of seven (7) motorists and passengers who had been killed when they struck the handrails lining Boston’s Big Dig tunnel system between 2005 and 2008. One other person reportedly lost an arm and survived. Cila struck the vertical handrail post on top of the barrier, according to the police reconstruction. His left arm was
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (“CPSC”) is released an advisory warning parents and caregivers about hazards associated with infant slings marketed for babies younger than four months of age. As of March 12, 2010, the CPSC was investigating at least fourteen (14) deaths associated with sling-style infant carriers, including three in 2009. Twelve of the deaths involved babies younger than four months of age.
On April 1, 2017, a carbon monoxide leak at the Quality Inn & Suites in Niles, Michigan resulted in the death of a child. Bryan Watts, age 13, was one of fourteen individuals injured by a carbon monoxide leak in the pool area of the hotel. Eight of these individuals were also children who were at the hotel for a birthday party. At about 10
A dozen hospitals worldwide, including three large hospitals in Massachusetts, have been faulted by Federal regulators for failing to properly report the injuries and deaths. Due to a lack of effort by medical facilities to detect problems with certain medical devices, these devices may have caused significant harm. Massachusetts General Hospital, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, and UMass Memorial Hospital were three of seventeen hospitals inspected
The US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) are joining forces to help keep dangerous toys away from children. Their focus will be on detecting shipments of toys and children’s products at the ports, to prevent offending products from entering the streams of commerce. Over the past four years, the CPSC and CBP have reportedly stopped more than 8
The CPSC voted recently in support of new play yard standards that will help protect children where they commonly sleep and play. Play yards, also known as pack-n-plays or mesh portable cribs, are widely used in homes, child care facilities, hotels and other lodging. CPSC has recalled about 20 different play yards involving millions of units since 1985 for various defects, with the potential to
Every day, people use alcohol prep pads to protect themselves and their loved ones from invasive bacteria and infection. Last year, however, The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced a recall of several Triad products that involved alcohol preparation, due to contamination with Bacillus Cereus bacteria. This bacteria is harmful to humans and can lead to food borne illness or even death. The government discovered