Products Liability – Household


The plaintiff, a 12-year-old boy, was walking beside his friend who was mowing his lawn. Suddenly, a rock shot out from under the lawnmower and struck the plaintiff in the left eye, resulting in permanent loss of vision in the eye.   Investigation revealed that the lawnmower was designed in such a way that grass

Baby Bath Seat

A one-year-old baby boy died when his bath seat tipped over, causing him to submerge in the bath water and ultimately drown.   The boy was seated in a baby bath seat manufactured by the defendant. The boy's mother briefly left the bathroom to check on the other children in the home. Upon her return,


Elderly woman was found barely conscious on the floor of her home with both legs trapped between the seat and ottoman portion of a reclining chair designed, manufactured, and distributed by the defendant.   As a result, the woman had to have both knees amputated. Defects in the recliner were known to the defendant. Specifically,

Gas Stove; Childproof Knobs

Two toddlers, ages 15 months and 2 years, were severely burned while they were sitting on a gas stove top.   The children allegedly had covered themselves with vegetable shortening and while sitting on the gas burners succeeded in turning the burners to the "on" position. Plaintiffs alleged that the design of the stove was

Canned Cooking Oil

Plaintiff, a 2-year-old boy, was near a stove which had an exposed burner light. While holding an aerosol can of cooking oil, the can exploded in the child's face.   The young boy was severely cut on his face resulting in the removal of one of his eyes.[11]

Drain Cleaner Container; Empty

A young mother rinsed an empty drain cleaner can with water, and making very certain that no water remained in it, she replaced the cap and placed the can on the stairs to await being placed with the trash.   Minutes later, her three year old daughter lost the sight in one eye and sustained

Smoke Detector

Three sons died and a daughter was burned as a result of a fire in the family home.   A smoke detector and related electrical systems malfunctioned. Other family members escaped but the home and property were partially destroyed. Plaintiffs, among other proofs, contended the decibel level of the noise warning emitted by the detector

Wringer Washer

The plaintiff, who was eight months pregnant, was feeding some wash into the wringer mechanism of her new washer.   Her fingers became entangled in the wet clothes and were pulled into the wringer mechanism, causing her to sustain injuries to her arm. The washer was equipped with a safety release mechanism. However, it was

Drain Cleaner; Liquid in Bottle

A young mother shopping with her two children at a local supermarket selected a bottle of caustic drain cleaner from a shelf.   As she was holding the bottle so as to read the directions, the cap fell off, spilling the cleaner on the children. The store manager disposed of the bottle and cap before

Coffee Pot

A young mother invited some neighbors over for coffee. She made the coffee in a decorative perk coffee pot.   After she placed it on the table a friend picked it up to pour herself a cup. As she was pouring the handle separated from the pot and the coffee spilled on the lap of


The plaintiff mother placed her infant daughter to sleep through the night in her new crib. The next morning, when the mother went to check on her baby, she saw her child entrapped between the crib's side rail and its mattress/mattress support.   Specifically, the back of the baby's head was against the crib's side

Portable Crib

9-month-old baby boy is sleeping in his portable crib when the crib collapses and overturns, suffocating the baby.   The baby's family sues the portable crib manufacturer for defective design and failure to warn of the risk of the crib collapsing, overturning and suffocating babies. The manufacturer had received dozens of prior complaints concerning the

Bunk Bed

A young child was sitting on the top bed of a set of bunk beds purchased two months previously by the parents.   The wooden guard railing on the top bunk broke and the child fell to the floor sustaining a serious head injury.[5]

Slipcover; Upholstery

Plaintiff, a 2-year-old boy, was on a couch in his grandmother's home. His mother was in the same room with him and suddenly noticed that the child was crying and holding his eye.   He had been struck in the eye by a metal clip attached to an elastic band which was part of a


Plaintiff was standing on a stool, the stool collapsed, and plaintiff fell backward, suffering severe head injuries.   She continues to suffer from headaches and dizziness. She has lost 3-1/2 months of work and has continuing disability. Plaintiff has recently developed more serious neurological complaints, nose bleeds, severe headaches, and feelings of pressure. The stool

Floor Wax

A 53-year-old housewife waxed her bedroom floor with Bowling Alley Wax, a floor wax which the manufacturer expressly stated--on the container label--was suitable for use in the home.   The following day, while walking across her bedroom floor she slipped and fell, sustaining severe neurological injuries including a cerebral concussion. She subsequently developed a permanent

Drain Cleaner; Granular in Can

A cat knocked a can of a granular drain cleaning agent into a crib occupied by a six-month-old girl.   The plastic snap-open lid of the container opened either because of the fall or because of hydrogen build-up in the can, and the baby started playing with the caustic soda-lye crystals of the cleanser. She

Drain Cleaner; Liquid in Can

A five-year-old girl was severely burned and disfigured when a can of liquid drain cleaner on the bathroom sink tipped over and spilled on her face and body.   The main ingredient of the drain cleaner was caustic sodium hydroxide. There was negligence in the design of the container. The cap could have been designed


To get help or to setup a free consultation, please call us directly at (617) 742-1900, or fill out the form below.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.



At Swartz & Swartz, P.C., we are very proud of our high-caliber legal talent, and we assure you that your case will get personal attention.