A 1-1/2-year-old boy was given a toy which included several small figurines. The age recommendations on the box stated that the toy was suitable for very young children.


The child ingested one of the small figurines, which were too narrow in diameter, and the oxygen supply to his brain was cut off, resulting in permanent brain damage.[40] Had the figurine been better designed so that, for one thing, it was larger, the child would not have been able to swallow it in such a manner as to cause serious injury.