Police report that a discarded cigarette ignited a fire that prompted the evacuation of a North End apartment complex late Wednesday night, in Springfield MA. No injuries were reported.
Leger said the porch railing had been covered with plywood, perhaps in an attempt to make it safer for children, and that the cigarette had fallen in between the railing and the plywood. It was clear from the number of discarded cigarette butts in the area that the porch served as a kind of smoking area.
Reports like this serve as a reminder to change the batteries in all of your home’s heat detectors, smoke alarms, and carbon monoxide detectors. To stay safe, replacing batteries in all smoke alarms should be done at least once a year, but changing them while changing all of your clocks serves as a great reminder. In addition, smoke alarms should be tested once a month and if an alarm “chirps”, warning the battery is low, replace the battery right away
At Swartz & Swartz we understand the necessity of taking important safety precautions to protect the ones we love. If you or family members have suffered significant burn injuries as the result of a fire, please contact one of our personal injury attorneys at Swartz & Swartz, P.C.. You can call us at (617) 742-1900, or if you are outside the Boston area, call toll-free at 1-800-545-3732. We are here to answer your questions and discuss how to protect your legal rights.