A young woman sustained heart damage after ingesting an herbal supplement that she purchased as part of a cleansing program.
The cleansing program was marketed and sold throughout Massachusetts and the United States via magazines, trade shows and the Internet. The plaintiff learned of the product while attending a trade show in Denver where the defendant was marketing and selling the product. After purchasing and ingesting the herbal supplement the plaintiff experienced complete heart block and was hospitalized. The herbal supplement was contaminated with Digitalis, a powerful heart stimulant. The plaintiff sustained permanent heart damage. The case settled prior to trial