What do I do after a car accident?
After a Boston car accident, it is important to know what to do to protect your rights. Of course, the first step is to contact 911 for police and medical treatment help. Once everyone is out of danger, begin writing down and/or photographing as much information as possible. Information of particular importance includes:
(1) Names, driver’s license numbers, contact information (at least home address and phone number) and auto insurance company information of all drivers.
(2) Information about any witnesses that observed the accident, including names and contact information for all passengers, pedestrians, and witnesses.
(3) Precise location, date, and time of the accident.
(4) A detailed description of the accident. Information such as which direction, at what speed, weather, road conditions, physical and mental conditions, and injuries should all be noted. Drawing a diagram can be very helpful.
(5) Identify all police and rescue personnel at the scene, including towns, ambulance companies, and, if possible, names and identity information for individuals.