Girl sustained anoxic brain injury when a mini hammock became entangled around her neck, acting as a noose, and cutting off the air supply to her brain.


The mini-hammock was defective as it posed a severe hazard of strangulation. The hammock failed to incorporate any device, such as spreaders, to keep the hammock strings from posing a strangulation/entanglement hazard. The hammock failed to warn of its hazards and was sold with a picture of a child on the box using the hammock without supervision.[68]